Wauwatosa, WI Child Custody
We provide the professional legal representation you need to protect your rights as a parent in Wauwatosa child custody matters.
Child custody issues are among the most sensitive and often contentious dealt with in the Wisconsin Courts. Decisions made during these proceedings have the potential to impact your relationship with your child, both now and in the years to come. At MacGillis Wiemer, LLC, our Wauwatosa child custody attorneys protect your legal rights as a parent in these types of cases, helping to ensure any orders issued are in both you and your child’s best interests. .
In matters affecting children in Wisconsin, the courts generally encourage both parents to play an active and engaged role in the child’s life. This may involve joint custody arrangements in which the child’s time is divided equally between both parents, or it may involve awarding one parent custody while the other has visitation. In making these arrangements, the parties are required to submit a parenting plan to the court.
At MacGillis Wiemer, LLC, our Wauwatosa child custody attorneys can assist you in creating a custom plan that works for both you and your child. Areas to address in these plans include:
- Arrangements concerning weekday and overnight weekend visitation;
- Extended visits over holidays, school breaks, and other special occasions;
- The rights of grandparents in spending time with the child;
- Limitations on third parties or activities which may be engaged in during visitation;
- Transportation arrangements and provisions for communication with the child while in the other parent’s custody;
- Agreements regarding legal authority in making decisions on the child’s behalf.
If the parents cannot reach agreements through parenting plans, the judge in the matter may issue an order based on the evidence in the case.
At MacGillis Wiemer, LLC, our Wauwatosa child custody attorneys work aggressively in gathering the evidence needed to defend your rights as a parent in court. Under Section 767.41 of the Wisconsin Statutes, factors that a judge may consider in making a ruling on child custody include:
- The parent’s current and prior relationship with the child;
- Their proven ability to meet the child’s needs;
- Each parent’s ability to cooperate with the other in making child custody arrangements;
- The stated preference of the child, based on their age and maturity;
- Issues such as as domestic violence, addiction, or other factors which could put the child in jeopardy.
In the event you do fear for your children’s wellbeing while they are with the other parent, our Wauwatosa child custody lawyers can petition the court for limited or supervised visitation until the situation is addressed. If a child custody order is currently in place, we may be able to assist you in modifications based on changes in your situation.
When it comes to protecting your child and your rights as a parent, MacGillis Wiemer, LLC acts as a strong legal advocate on your side. Reach out and contact our Wauwatosa child custody attorneys today and request a free, initial consultation to discuss your case.