Waukesha, WI Child Custody
Get the caring, experienced legal representation you need to ensure your rights are protected in Waukesha child custody matters.
Matters affecting parents and children are among the most potentially contentious dealt with in the Wisconsin courts. Decisions made can impact your relationship with your child, now and in the years to come. At MacGillis Wiemer, LLC, our Waukesha child custody attorneys offer caring, professional legal representation in these situations. With over a decade of experience, you can trust us to provide the guidance you need to ensure your rights are protected.
Whether you are going through a divorce or the breakup of a previous relationship, protecting your rights as a parent in child custody proceedings is a primary concern. Parents are encouraged to reach agreements on these matters through mediation sessions. However, if an agreement cannot be reached, the judge will issue a ruling based on the evidence in your case. Under Section 767.41 of the Wisconsin Statutes, factors that impact decisions regarding child custody arrangements include:
- Each parent’s current and previous relationship with the child;
- Where each one lives, and the distance between their homes and the child’s school;
- Their willingness and ability to care for the child and to provide for his or her needs;
- Their ability to cooperate with the other parent in making joint child custody arrangements;
- The existence of factors, such as domestic abuse or drug and alcohol addiction, which could put the child in jeopardy.
Depending on the situation, a joint custody order may be appropriate, or one spouse may be awarded sole custody while the other has visitation. At MacGillis Wiemer, LLC, our Waukesha child custody attorney can guide you through these proceedings, gathering the information and evidence needed to protect your rights and your child’s best interests.
In Wisconsin child custody proceedings, the parties involved are required to submit a parenting plan to the court. In addition to outlining your rights and responsibilities as a parent, this also delegates decision making authority in matters affecting your child. At MacGillis Wiemer, LLC, we can guide you in areas that need to be addressed in your parenting plan, which include:
- Plans for holidays, school breaks, and special occasions, such as birthdays or vacations;
- Provisions regarding participation at the child’s school or during extracurricular activities;
- Arrangements for transportation of the child between the parents, including pick up/drop off locations;
- Provisions for communication when the child is with the other parent;
- Agreements regarding how potential disputes will be resolved.
Grandparents in Wisconsin have rights concerning child custody and visitation as well, which may be included as part of the parenting plan.
In matters impacting you and your children, MacGillis Wiemer, LLC acts as a strong legal advocate on your behalf. Call or contact our Waukesha child custody attorneys online today and request a consultation to discuss your situation and how we can help.