Fox Point, WI Property Division
Fox Point, WI Property Division
When disputes arise over marital property and assets during your divorce, our Fox Point, WI property division attorneys provide the aggressive, professional legal representation you need.
Going through a divorce is never easy. After years of building a life together, going through the process of splitting up what you own can be draining, both emotionally and financially. Even in otherwise amicable divorce cases, disputes can arise over how property and assets are divided. At MacGillis Wiemer, LLC, we provide the professional legal representation you need to protect your rights in these situations. Our experienced Fox Point, WI property division attorneys have been assisting clients in these types of matters for over a decade. You can trust us to work aggressively on your behalf, to ensure you get what you are entitled to in any marital property settlements.
Dividing Property in Wisconsin Divorce Cases
Before your divorce can be finalized, there are certain issues that must be addressed. One of these includes dividing any property or assets you and your spouse earned, acquired, or otherwise accumulated over the course of your marriage. Under Section 767.61 of the Wisconsin Statutes, marital property is to be divided on an equitable, though not necessarily even, basis.
At MacGillis Wiemer, LLC, our Fox Point, WI property division attorneys are here to guide you through these proceedings. Items which should be included in any resulting divorce settlement are:
- Homes, land, and other types of real estate;
- Memberships in country clubs and timeshares;
- Cars, motorcycles, and recreational vehicles;
- Household furniture and housewares;
- Artwork, antiques, and family heirlooms;
- Hobby or craft items and collectibles;
- Assets in checking or savings accounts and investment funds;
- Retirement benefits, including pensions and funds in IRAs;
- Shares in any businesses or partnerships.
Starting over after a divorce can prove challenging. Making sure you get what you are entitled to in a divorce order or settlement can help in your recovery.
Protecting Your Rights in Property Division During Divorce
As part of your divorce proceedings, both you and your spouse will be required to fill out a financial disclosure statement. This lists all the assets you possess, as well as all the debts you have accumulated over the years.
Only that property acquired during your marriage is subject to property division. However, non-marital assets could place a role in any decisions made by the judge or when negotiating a marital settlement agreement. Other factors which could influence the amount you may be entitled to include:
- The length of the marriage and the health of both spouses;
- Each partners current income and earning potential;
- The total contributions each made to the marriage;
- Career or educational sacrifices made by one spouse in support of the other or children of the marriage.
Speak With Our Fox Point, WI Property Division Attorneys Today
At MacGillis Wiemer, LLC., you can trust us to act as a strong legal advocate on your behalf, protecting your rights when going through a divorce. Get our legal team on your side. Contact our Fox Point, WI property division attorneys to request a consultation today.