Megann S. Hendrix
Megann (Senfleben) Hendrix is a partner at MacGillis Wiemer, LLC and focuses her practice on family law, elder law and estate planning.
Megann is a highly trained collaborative law attorney and certified family law mediator. She uses a problem-solving approach to family law and represents her clients with compassion and a high level of expertise, whether representing her client in a divorce or a prenuptial/postnuptial agreement. Megann focuses her divorce practice on collaborative divorce, in which she represents her client without the use of the adversarial court system. Megann also serves as a neutral mediator helping a divorcing couple reach a resolution outside of court.
As part of Megann’s elder law practice, she helps families and individuals with Medicaid (Title 19) long-term care asset protection planning in the pre-planning and crisis-planning stages. She also helps her clients with adult guardianship proceedings, including petitioning for the guardianship and defending a guardianship action.
Because of her expertise in both elder law and family law, Megann is one of few attorneys in the area with expertise in “elder divorce” and often serves as a consultant for other attorneys representing clients in divorce actions involving public benefits and other elder law issues.
In addition to traditional estate planning, Megann is also knowledgeable in special needs trusts and the unique planning necessary for individuals with special needs. She also works with WisPACT, Inc. and Life Navigators to set up Pooled and Community Special Needs Trusts for her clients.
In her free time, Megann enjoys spending time with her husband, Travis, and their son, Cole. As a Wisconsin native, she takes advantage of all that Wisconsin has to offer – from beaches and boating to snow shoeing.
Areas of Practice
- Collaborative Divorce
- Elder Divorce
- Divorce Mediation
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Medicaid Planning
- Asset Protection
- Adult Guardianship
- Special Needs Planning
- Estate Planning
- Wisconsin, 2010
- Marquette University Law School
- J.D., top 25%
- Saint Louis University
- B.A., magna cum laude
Honors and Awards
- “Up and Coming Lawyer” by the Wisconsin Law Journal, 2016
- “Rising Star” by SuperLawyers, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- “Leading Lawyer” by M Magazine, 2015
- “Dolphin Award” by the Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin, 2013
- “Outstanding Performance and Dedication Award” by the Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin
- Training Chair, 2017 – present
- Chair, 2016
- Public Education Committee Chair, 2011 – 2015
- Board of Directors 2012 – present
- State Bar of Wisconsin Family Law Section
- Legislative Chair, 2015-2017
- Board of Directors, 2011-2017
- Member, 2010 – present
- State Bar of Wisconsin Elder Law Section
- Member, 2010 – present
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member, 2014 – present
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, 2007 – present
- Issue Editor, Wisconsin Journal of Family Law, June 2015
- Co-Author, “Dealing with Capacity Issues in a Divorce,” Wisconsin Journal of Family Law, June 2015
- Author, “Our Aging Divorce Clients – What we Need to Know,” Wisconsin Journal of Family Law, June 2015
- Author, “The Elder Divorce: Considerations for Elder Law Attorneys,” The Elder Law Journal of Wisconsin, Fall 2014.
- Author, “The Elder Divorce: Considerations in Divorces Involving Older Couples,” Inside Track, July 2014.
- Co-Author, “Elder Law,” Annual Survey of Wisconsin Law, 2014.
- Co-Author, “Medicaid,” Advising Older Clients and Their Families, 2011-2012.
- Author, “Perspective from the Honorable Michael J. Dwyer,” Perspectives (Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin quarterly newsletter), Spring 2011.
- Co-Author, “Is Support Different in High Income Cases? A Discussion of Ladwig and Chen,” Wisconsin Journal of Family Law, Summer 2010.
- Milwaukee Bar Association Seminar: “Medicaid Basics” October 2017
- State Bar of Wisconsin Webinar: “Updating Your Estate Plan After Divorce” September 2017
- State Bar of Wisconsin Webinar: “Family Law for Non-Family Law Attorneys” May 2017
- Associated Bank Private Client Services: “Medicaid 101: Unveiling the Truth” October 2016
- Financial Planning Association Wisconsin Symposium: “Strategic Planning Upon a Divorce: What to Do When Your Client is Getting Divorced” October 2016
- National Business Institute Webcast: “Protecting Assets While Qualifying for Medicaid” June 2016
- Society of Financial Service Professionals Milwaukee Chapter Meeting: “Strategic Planning Upon a Divorce: What to Do When Your Client is Getting Divorced” May 2016
- Milwaukee Bar Association Seminar: The Elder Divorce: Considerations for Elder Law Attorneys” April 2016
- Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin Webinar: “Issues in Elder Divorce” February 2016
- National Business Institute Seminar: “Medicaid Planning” February 2016
- Collaborative Family Law Council Annual Meeting: “Teams and Tools for Making a Collaborative Divorce Work, November 2015
- National Business Institute Webcast: “Medicaid Planning” July 21, 2015.
- Waukesha Bar Association Probate & Estate Planning Section Meeting: “Medicaid Considerations for Estate Planners” January 13, 2015.
- National Business Institute Seminar: “Preserving Family Assets when Qualifying for Medicaid” December 11, 2014.
- National Business Institute Webcast: “The Affordable Care Act’s Impact on Elder Law” November 18, 2014.
- Milwaukee Estate Planning Forum Meeting: “Medicaid Considerations for Estate Planners” November 7, 2014.
- 33rd Annual Family Law Conference: “Intro to Elder Divorce” August 8, 2014.
- 16th Annual Elder Law Workshop: “Case Law, Statutory, Administrative and Regulatory Update” January 31, 2014.
- 32nd Annual Family Law Conference: “Pretrial Practice” August 9, 2013.
- 15th Annual Elder Law Workshop: “Case Law, Statutory, Administrative and Regulatory Update” January 25, 2013.
- Waddell & Reed: “Estate Conservation” December 5, 2012.
- Legal Issues of the Aging: “Fair Hearing Update” September 28, 2012.
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic Brown Bag CLE: “Marital Property Basics” February 9, 2012.
- 14th Annual Elder Law Workshop: “Case Law, Statutory, Administrative and Regulatory Update” January 27, 2012.
- Health Ed Seminar: “Title 19/Medicaid Overview” November 10, 2011.